Monday 16 February 2009

Clozaril

I've not been doing too well lately. I've been reducing my meds, as my doctor said I should, and I'm now feeling pretty awful. I'm hardly sleeping at all. I know this is pretty usual for me, but when I just wasn't sleeping, I could relax physically, and now I'm not sleeping due to meds, I can't relax at all.

I went to the hospital this morning, as per usual, and had a chat with theCPN, who suggested I go back on Clozaril (clozapine). My psychiatrist has suggested this several times, and I've said no to it, because the side effects are pretty horrible, leaving me with a severe loss in quality of life. It puts weight on you, makes you dribble, slurs your speech, and generally slows you down. The CPN I saw this morning told me about some new ideas on how some of these side effects could be controlled. I eat fairly healthily, and could always improve my diet, I also do a lot more exercise now than I did when I was first on this drug. There are also some meds that reduce the production of saliva, which would control the dribbling fairly well.

Given this new information, I think I will try Clozaril, if my doctor still thinks it's a good idea, which I think he will. Its a scary thought, but I'm pretty much willing to try most things, if there's a reasonable assumption that it could make me better.

No comments: